--On Saturday, July 19, 2003 16:30:04 +0100 Darren Poulson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The one thing that I think it could be is the connector to convert from
RJ45  to BT phone socket. I'm using a mod tap that I had lying around.
Not sure  what the wiring is like inside it.

That's a pretty good bet. Depending on the phone I've regularly had to swap wires, solder wires together or add capacitors to get phones to work with my ATA 186 and even ordinary phone lines here in darkest Sussex. There seem to be a number of wiring variations that can cause problems - you can use google to get many references to the possible solutions.

 Iain