John Todd wrote....

> Cisco has an 802.11 phone called the 7920, which is apparently
> shipping now.  It is very expensive (>$550 USD) and only runs SCCP at
> the moment, which is Cisco's proprietary VoIP protocol.  However, if
> it falls in line with some of Cisco's other high-end VoIP equipment,
> that means it should have a trailing-edge SIP image running by
> December.  Despite Cisco's frequent stupidity when it comes to
> marketing decisions, they make some pretty nice gear and so I'm
> holding out for the 7920.
>
> JT

I have two on my desk. And very nice they are too. Found the hidden
menus, from whence you can crank the power from standard 20mW
to 100mW, for those "just gotta talk moments..."

Battery lasts about 1 hour talk time, 8 hours standby...
(but that was on the 20mW setting)...

We are trying them out around Wellington, on the citywide
Wifi network. They work very very well.

Interesting menu options implying mechanisms to take the 11
channels of WiFI, and dedicate 1-3 for voice, and turn the
rest over to data. There were some rumours that they only
work on Cisco Aironet base stations.... They work fine on
DLink, Kamaguza, and Uncle Tom Cobblies base stations...

SCCP only, and don't hold your breath....

--
 \_    Roger De Salis                   rdesalis at fx dot net dot nz
 </'   FX Networks                      +64 21 481 452