On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Mike Ciholas wrote:
> However, while everyone can sell me POTS lines, when I ask about
> getting these in some sort of digital muxed interface, I seem to
> confuse the providers.  In one case, I was able to get something
> called "channelized T1" which cost a lot and did not actually
> include the "phone" service for any of the channels, that was
> additional.  So the cost to go from POTS lines to something
> digital was extreme, so much more than I can't understand why
> anyone would have T1 voice interfaces, yet all the PBXes have
> this and it seems commonly used.  I must be doing this "wrong".

Any t1 service is generally going to cost more than pots service. Not sure
why either, with economy of scale, etc. Who is your local telco?

> 1. Understanding terminology so I can ask for the "right thing".

Channelized T1 or an ISDN PRI.

> 2. Advice on when it is reasonable to go POTS versus something
> else and what that something else is.

Unless you need/want DID and the other features, t1 won't be less
expensive for you. It will do more but cost more.

> 3. Feedback on what others are doing with 10-12 lines in the US
> that may want to expand to ~20 lines.

Most people that go with t1 start breaking even or losing less money at
15-20 lines.

> 4. Interfacing so many POTS lines to Asterisk.  I guess that
> means an FXO channel bank to T1 card?  Kind of stupid to go
> digital/analog/digital in the last 100 feet.

Depending on what kind of system you buy initially, ISDN is more flexible
than straight channelized.

dave

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent