HI Hartmut,

I do have the same problem as you decribed earlier. The Billion HFC Cards (two of them) work flawlessly in my old Pentium II, but in my more powerful Athlon XP 2400+ (Via KT400 Chipset), I allways get the "pci performance too low" message and syslog kills the system.

I'll try it now with commenting out the message. Do you know anything more in the meantime. Did Mr. Junghanns have any statement about it? I wonder if chan_mISDN is a better choice by now?

Thanks for any advice you might have!

yours,
Alexander

Hartmut Wahl wrote:
Hello,
I have investigated the issue a bit further, I was not able to find the
root cause, maybe it is the KT133 Chipset of my ASUS A7V. However I
found a bad hack to make it work under some circumstances. I commented
out the line:

printk(KERN_CRIT "zaphfc: sync lost, pci performance too low. you might
have some cpu throtteling enabled.\n");

in zaphfc/zaphfc.c. Since when this situation happened once, the syslog
started and this caused the situation again -> endless loop with high
sysload. Now the sync lost happens probably every now and then but it
does not go into an endless loop.

I also recognized that I must not run setiathome since then the audio
quality of connections via the hfc-card will suffer (crackling).
Amazingly cpuburn (takes every cpu-Time it gets as well) does not have
this effect. I have no idea what strange things setiathome does to cause
this but it reminds me of a sound card problem on this board. My SB-Live had crackling when I ran setiathome but I think with a newer driver (and ALSA I think) this problem was gone.

Things that did not help:
- Trying to change the latency (is fixed to 16 and cannot be changed)
- Trying to change the latency of my other pci-devices (much higher and
  much lower).
- Playing around with BIOS Options like delayed transaction, etc.
- Changing PCI-slots
- Making sure that the ISDN-card did not share the IRQ - Having only the ISDN-card and the Video-card in the System

Hope that helps others who encounter this problem as well
 Hartmut