I've had one on my desk for a couple weeks now.  What I've done:
Used DHCP to get the IP address / gateway / ntp server / dns server.
Not used DHCP to get the FTP server (rather than futz with my DHCP server settings). Manually set the FTP server IP/username/password on the phone (I didn't want to use mixed case username... I'm picky). I got my config files from what was posted on the wiki. At what point are you having problems?
- Dan

chris gamble wrote:

I just received my first polycom 501, tried my best to follow all of the
documentation and configs on the wiki ( though some conflicted in which
case i tried both ways ), and at the end of the day can not connect my
phone to asterisk.

My Questsions: does the wiki information apply to the 501's? The images
and config files at freedomphones, are those supposed to work with the
501? Has anyone gotten one of these updated phones to work with asterisk,
and if so can you share your experience.

Thanks,