Jay Milk wrote:

Who is getting the better end of the deal?

Well, Digium, of course. I certainly hope that they've made way more money from Asterisk than I ever expect to save or make. And I certainly expect that Digium has made way more money from Asterisk because they've open-sourced it than they ever could have hoped to make by not doing so.

By OS'ing Asterisk, Digium has given many folks the means to earn a
living

Yes, indeed, as well as themselves.

And all that I'm saying is that this is completely expected, natural, and fair. I've no argument against this.

What I am saying, though, is that Digium didn't give out royalty-free proprietary licenses to Asterisk, instead, they gave out GPL licenses to Asterisk. Why, then, do they require that contributions are made any differently? Why do they require freedoms with contribution that they did not give with theirs? Well, probably because they believe that they're owed that, and probably because many others in the community not unlike yourself agree with that opinion as well.

Lee.