Eric Wieling aka ManxPower wrote:

Steve Underwood wrote:

Steve Kennedy wrote:

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 11:54:17PM -0700, Storm D. J. Petersen wrote:

  I don’t know if I have the same experiences. Usually my Skype
  calls are very garbled at first. I find that my G729 Asterisk calls
are better quality. You can try using ULAW if you have the bandwidth.
  It. might make the “quality” sound better.
  Maybe it’s your SIP client/hardware phone that is giving you
  troubles.

Skype uses ilbc, and g.729 for PSTN breakout.
Skype uses wideband-ilbc.

Do yu have a link for wideband-ilbc info?

It is described on the GIPS site, along with the narrow band ilbc. The wideband one is not offered to the world on a royalty free basis, as the narrow band one is. I have never looked at how it works. I don't know how similar/different the narrow and wideband codecs are. The wideband codec operates at 16k samples/second.

Regards,
Steve