Does this explain why they would not register, or do I have to worry that
there is some new setting which caused the problem?  I do not want to go
through the pain of upgrading the customer's phones (probably with a site
visit) only to find that I have to downgrade them and go though it again with
4.1.

I guess you haven't read my earlier post to your question, it would have answered your question....

Also, is there any way to tell the phone, *before a reboot* that I want it to
update the firmware?  I do most of my maintenance remotely, and I can tell the
phones where to find new firmware and clicking "Load" will start the reboot
process.

However, I need a person there to press the Check button so that it will
really update the firmware.  Is there any way around this so that I can update
the phone after-hours and remotely?

Thank you...  Not just for this answer, but for all the answers I get from

If you would have read the manual of the phone or took 5 seconds to browse through the html interface of the phone itself you would have found the parameter to get the behaviour you want of the phone.