Well, it applies to many phones, such as the Cisco and Polycoms, among others, but generally, there is a way to define a dialplan that changes the amount of time you have to wait for the phone to assume that you are done dialing. (ie: if it sees 10 digits, wait one second, and if it sees 11 digits, don't wait at all.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] has a great web interface for configuring these settings for Cisco phones, too.

Tom