[EMAIL PROTECTED] is not a feature limited version of asterisk designed for home users. It is actually a collection of various software projects, including Asterisk stable, the AMP Web interface, SugarCRM, a Cisco phone configuration editor, plus ConfigEdit and a bunch of other stuff, all nicely tied together.

On the other hand, Asterisk by default is a blank slate and there are extremely few limitations on how you can configure it to meet your needs. Extreme flexibility is the rule, and many do not like that GUIs (AMP included) necessarily place limits on this flexibility. As a result, it is harder to make more complex customizations.

However, I think that the average user will actually find that AMP brings some order to the "chaos" that is Asterisk. Rather than limiting their freedom, many users see it as saving them from reinventing the wheel and having to learn the minutiae of Asterisk configuration. In addition, if you are willing to invest some time studying the inner workings of AMP, you can figure out how it works and place custom programming in the /etc/asterisk/ extensions_custom.conf file.

In the end, it depends on what type of user you are, and what you want to accomplish. If you want to develop an easy to use and configure replacement for a traditional PBX that does not require you to really get into the nuts and bolts of dilaplans, etc, then I think [EMAIL PROTECTED] is for you. If you want to get into more complex things such as connecting databases to your system to let customers access their data interactively, etc, then you probably want to avoid the GUI, because it will limit your flexibility.

As with most everything else, it depends!

Tom