Brian Capouch wrote:

Robert Geller wrote:

At this point, I'm thinking that it could be a matter of bad cabling or something. The Cat5 cable that's running the 8 or so feet from my PC to my router is homemade by me, and many people do report problems with homemade cables. I may not have made it exactly right, or the untwisted segment may be longer than 1/2", which supposedly causes distortion and interference. Perhaps I ought to run out and buy a couple factory-made cables to test the difference, if any, between them.

I had a problem with the precise behavior you describe in your earlier mail.

For me, the solution came when I discovered that my Ethernet card and my sound card were sharing an interrupt.

I moved the Ethernet card around until it got a different IRQ, and the problem vanished instantly.

YMMV.

B.

Wow, very interesting. Thank you so much! BTW, regarding YMMV, did you have a separate, dedicated sound card? I don't -- it's integrated into my motherboard. Would this still apply? Of course, there are still ports in the back for in, out, and a mic, so it may still apply, but my Ethernet card is way down on the second-to-last PCI port, so would this still apply?

Again, thanks very much for your support, and if you think this may still apply to my setup, I will definitely try what you recommended.