On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 01:28:17PM +0200, lenz wrote:

> Hello list,
> I am looking for a way to have multiple remote Windows users download a
> package and get connected to *. My idea would be that they run a simple
> app, it connects without any setting to an * box (maybe via IAX) and then
> people press a button to talk. It would be okay if they had to enter a
> username and password, but not more than that.

Using IAX to register to a server and call through it would "just work".

This still would not handle instant-messaging.

> Looking for such software, I keep finding how much easier for a
> non-technical end-user is to download skype and have it running than
> downloading a softphone, creating an account, configuring the softphone
> and then dialing the required number. Having a way to use skype as a
> terminal would be nice, but I fear it's impossible by now (see
> http://www.skypejournal.com/blog/archives/2005/03/skype_strategy.php ).
>
> So, anybody has experience of something that could be used, repackaged,
> modified or you-know-what that could be helpful in this case? And don't
> you think a IAX intercom could be somehow useful? :-)

iaxcomm is a start. Not the best in terms of usability, but a start. You
could hard-wire the server and make the accounts setup dialog a bit
firendlier.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                           |  best