Message: 18
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:02:28 +0200
From: "Stefan-Michael. Guenther (in-put GbR)" < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] One phone ringing, one phone flashing ?
To: asterisk-users@lists.digium.com

Hi,

well, some clients have strange ideas and wishes (at least to my mind).

Yesterday I gave a presentation about asterisk to a CEO.
At the end he asked me whether asterisk is able to do the following:

When a call for the CEO comes in, the calling number should be shown on the
display of his phone and the phone of his secretary. The secretary's phones
should ring, but at his phone only a light should flash.

;-)) No, turning off the sound isn't the solution.
This restriction should e.g. only apply, when it is an external call, internal
calls should result in ringing both phones.

I'm not quite sure, whether this could be a feature of asterisk or the phone
or both together.

Does anything of you successfully set up something like this or could
recommend a phone that would help/support it?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Stefan

The quick and dirty solution to this that I'd put together would involve a Cisco or Polycom multiline phone, and some careful magic with ring tones. First, set up two different lines on the boss's phone- one that you'll use for inbound external calls, the other that you'd use for inbound internal calls.  When a new call came in, the call would be routed simultaneously (through DIAL(TECH/EXTN&TECH/EXTN2) ) to both the secretary's phone and to the boss's phone external line.  The ringer can be independantly specified on each line for the Cisco phone- so you specify a custom ringtone that's essentially silent- record some dead air for his inbound external line.   Since the Cisco displays CID and flashes the red light on ringing, he gets his flashing light- and it rings as needed at the secretaries desk.

Cheap, dirty solution- but functional in a short timeframe.

-pbd.