Chris Bagnall wrote:

I've just returned from a visit to a client site where their existing
incoming lines are in the form of 5 ISDN BRI connections (for 10 channels
total).

We have successfully deployed Asterisk boxes with 2 HFC-based cards in the
past, but I've no idea how well a standard PC will handle 5 or 6 cards -
i.e. every PCI slot has a BRI card in it.

Any thoughts from folks who've tried this in the past?

I would not use multiple HFC-cards, but would either use the QuadBRI or OctoBRI cards available (and pointed out by a previous poster), or use an external ISDN gateway. It seems INALP has come across with some new pricing, something like 500-600 EUR for a 4-Port ISDN gateway (Inalp SN4638 Gateway/Router)

Let us know your final findings.
--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt