Asterisk does not support CNG. It doesn't accept it and it doesn't generate it. The same for the IAXy.

Try SIPura if you want a good ATA.

Grant Supp wrote:
Am I correct in assuming the iaxy (S101I) does not support comfort noise generation (CNG)? I can tell a difference between a call placed using a Grandstream 486 ATA and the iaxy. With the iaxy, when the other party is silent, the sound level abruptly cuts off to zero. This is fairly annoying and wouldn't be acceptable at a customers' presence. With the 486, random background noise is still heard, more like a traditional phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions or can recommend an ATA with high sound quality? So far I have tested the Grandstream 286/486 (unreliable) and Digium iaxy (S101I). I have not been able to find a reliable ATA that has high sound quality.