Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry if my requirements weren't clear. I need a general purpose "run this in the background" capability. The voicemail was simply an example, and probably a bad one. I want the Dial command to go off on a separate thread so the main thread can continue. What happens in that second thread is arbitrary. I'll deal with getting "data" in and out of that second thread as appropriate - perhaps by dropping stuff in a database or some other synchronization method. The key is that while that second "background task" is executing, the initial thread of execution doesn't block and can continue running arbitrary Asterisk applications.

See sample.call in the Asterisk source directory and .call files on the Wiki. Sounds like you want Asterisk to call a person when a voicemail is left and allow the person to get their voicemail during the notification call.