I made an error in what I previously wrote. What actually works in v1.2 is:

exten => asterisk,1,VoicemailMain(${CALLERIDNUM})

Which is what Michael originally wrote.  My bad!

Sascha wrote:

Thanks Michael - you got me on the right path. What you gave me didn't work, but I figured out that the following does (on version 1.2):

exten => default,1,VoiceMailMain(${CALLERIDNUM})

(BTW, exten => Unknown,1,VoiceMailMain(${CALLERIDNUM}) used to work for us in Asterisk 1.0.9 but obviously no longer does)