We are running a number of hosted SIP-only PBX’s, and we do have memory problems with some of them.

The servers have typically 512 MB RAM, and in some of the servers the Asterisk usage goes up from a couple of percent (at restart in the morning) to more than 82% after periods with a high number of calls processed. At a call rate of 100 calls an hour, the memory consumption growth is around 50MB an hour. At the end of the busy period we sometimes get “Fork failed: Cannot allocate memory” error, and calls to the server are rejected. At that time, several hundreds of MB of the virtual memory has often been taken into use, and the so-called free memory is down at a few MB or even kB. After restart, the memory is freed up.

The dial plan is complex using OBCD calls to a MySQL astdb table. Most calls are queued. We use mechanisms such as hint, qualify and setGroup. We have a separate Flash Operators Panel server, which communicates with the server through the manager API. We have tried to change the unixOBCD driver, but the memory consumption did not change.

The version used is 1.0.10, STABLE. Running on Debian RC 2. We use a FLASH disk with 4GB capacity.

My main issue is: can we avoid these problems by changing design parameters somewhere?

…. or do we just have to put more RAM into the servers?