Matt Roth wrote:

We have no hardware timing device on the box (no Zap hardware) and are using the 2.6 kernel as the timing source. Digium tech support told us this is better than ztdummy, which we were using before. We experienced the same problems then, as well. Could a lack of a hardware timing source be our problem?

If you don't have ztdummy loaded, you don't have a timing source. Asterisk does not take timing from the 'kernel', although ztdummy has a mode where it can do so.

Regardless, if the call is SIP to SIP, a timing source is not relevant for this problem.