Hi Tyler.

We're registering users with OpenSER, which also routes the calls to a series
of Asterisk systems. The really tricky part is allowing different phones
entering through different Asterisk systems to reach other. Currently, the
solution is to, upon registration from phones, issue a forward() command in
OpenSER to forward the registration to every Asterisk system. In this way,
every Asterisk box knows about every phone and it doesn't matter which Asterisk
system takes the call.

It's not a perfect solution though. When OpenSER sends the forward() request to
Asterisk, it also sends back the 'Trying' and 'Ok' messages to the phones
(We're using Polycom's). The phones don't seem to have a problem with these
extraneous messages.... so far. A better solution would have been to use
t_replicate() in OpenSER, which absorbs these messages, but you can only call
t_replicate once.

We may still end up sending all calls BACK through OpenSER again to terminate
the call, as it knows the location of all the phones as well. This is easy from
a simple dial plan perspective, but I'm not sure yet how some of the more
advanced Asterisk features such as hints and ACD Queues will work when
specifying @proxy for their location. I'd prefer to leave OpenSER out of the
equation though.  Just trying to get it to do failure_route() etc to Asterisk
is a huge pain considering the docs on it are soooo bad. Oh yeah.... check out
the use of failure_route with t_relay() when sending calls to Asterisk in a
redundant fashion. It seems to be working well so far. Failover is very fast. I
also saw a post on the OpenSER list last night saying that the dispatcher
(which we had looked at before) now supports failure_route too. We liked it
initially because it can load balance on call-id and give you a roughly even
call distribution.

Don't try using realtime either.... it's hard to believe but you can't use it
for sharing a common contact database between Asterisk systems. Digium have
admitted to this.

Doug.