I did some research about Asterisk and High Availability and some sort of load balancing. The High Availability issue isnn't much of a problem. I did it with heartbeat en realtime. But the load balancing issue is realy a problem. You want a load balancer to make decisions based on call ID. The call ID is stored in the SIP header (layer 7)  and for all I know there are only a few load balancers that can make decisions based on this layer and those load balancers are not SIP aware. So for now I don't think load balancing with *servers could be easily achieved.

On 1/4/06, Kevin P. Fleming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Asterisk wrote:

> In my case I would be using DNS round robin.  So a UA would only be
> registering to one * server at a time.  So wouldn't in fact be an
> active/passive?

No. You have said that you want the _other_ servers to be aware of that
phone's registration and be able to deliver calls to it directly. That
will not work.

If you want the other servers to send calls to that phone through the
server it registered with, then yes, that can easily be done.

Tijmen van den Brink
Wilhelminaweg 46
3441 XC Woerden
Tel: 0642233831