Brett, Gary wrote:

From what ive read on this list and the wiki, centos 4.x has issues with the
TE110P card ( a lot of people having issues after first reboot).Would 3.5 be
better (I know [EMAIL PROTECTED] uses this)
Am I right in saying that OS's with the 1.6 kernel still require a lot more
"tinkering" than those with the 1.4 kernel ?? Does anybody know what Digiums
stance on OS is , I remember speaking to them about 6 months ago and they
were recommending a 1.4 kernel version of Debian. Are there any specific disadvantages to running 1.4 kernel ??,
I presume you mean 2.4 and 2.6.

Six months ago the Stable release of Debian couldn't run 2.6 kernels without installing a few updated packages from their backports.org repository. There has been a release since then that includes native 2.6 support.

There are many areas where 2.6 improves upon 2.4 from processor and interrupt scalability to latency improvements. I would recommend any new server be installed with a 2.6 kernel unless there is some workload that requires a specific 2.4 kernel. I believe most of those were removed with the 2.6.5 to 2.6.8 anonVMA changes by Andrea.