Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:

JCC wrote:

I don't get it. What is the advantage of using a GSM gateway? VOIP calls are pretty inexpensive as they are now. Is the use of a gateway intended as a
backup incase a wired network connection goes down? I have being looking
around the net for information on this. Anyone out there using it and if so you can please share with me how you use this technology? Any information
will be appreciated.

As you have seen from the other responses, there are advantages to this (and carriers support it) in other parts of the world. In the USA there isn't much need for such a device since calls to cell phones and calls to landlines cost the same amount. In other parts of the world a call to a cell phone is MUCH more expensive that calls to a landline.

In many parts of Europe if you have a GSM gateway then the cell phones can become part of your Centrex system.

They have their advantages in the US also. For instance, if you have your cell phones with a carrier that has free calls to the same network, then you can drastically reduce bills with a callback system.