[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently looking to run Asterisk in the office to replace an old PBX and would appreciate a little help. We are moving offices and will have 8 digital lines. My questions are:

As there are 8 digital lines is this known as PRI?

In the UK, that would be called a partial E1. E1 is the generic name for BT's ISDN30 product.

Which Digium card would be the best fit?

If it *is* a partial E1, then the Digium TE110P (that's the non-echo-cancelling version) is what you're after. Sangoma make a card with similar capabilities, and others (like Eicon) make E1 cards with DSPs on board which handle echo cancellation as well as a lot of ISDN stack housekeeping.

Intelligent cards are *much* more expensive than dumb ones like the TE110P.

If you have ISDN2e (4 x 2 channel boxes on the wall), then you'll need a 4 port ISDN2e card. Digium don't make an ISDN2e card.

Would you recommend looking at the echo cancellation cards?

Sorry, I have no experience of the Digium echo cancellers (yet).

We are UK based: is caller id supported by Asterisk for the card that you would recommend?

All ISDN30 and ISDN2e cards hadle caller id in the UK. BT (or your alternative carrier) will have to enable it.

Anytime anyone asks for advice on a small system, someone wades in with "try [EMAIL PROTECTED]". I wouldn't recommend that myself.

jd

--

John Daragon                                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
argv[0] limited