James Harper wrote:
Just an enquiring mind wanting to know, but how is a hardware solution
different to a software solution? The echo cancellers in the Digium
hardware presumably just use the same sort of algorithms as the software
versions, so it is just that they are dedicated and perform better, that
they are closer to the source of the echo, or some other thing that I've
overlooked?

I don't think this is the case. I would assume that the VPM would use a chip from a 3rd party, one that actually does good echocan.