Michael Collins wrote:
Just curious to know if anyone uses Festival with * and whether or not you’ve got a different voice than the default. I’m looking at doing a commercial application but my boss doesn’t want to shell out the $ before we do some real world testing of * and Festival. Specifically, I’m looking for a female voice, preferably US English.

You can change the voice by editing the asterisk function. I think you want 'voice_cmu_us_slt_arctic_hts':

;;; Command for Asterisk begin
(define (tts_textasterisk string mode)
    "(tts_textasterisk STRING MODE)
  Apply tts to STRING.  This function is specifically designed for
  use in server mode so a single function call may synthesize the string.
  This function name may be added to the server safe functions."
; different voices, uncomment the one you want:
;(voice_cmu_us_awb_arctic_hts)
;(voice_cmu_us_bdl_arctic_hts)
;(voice_cmu_us_jmk_arctic_hts)
(voice_cmu_us_slt_arctic_hts)
;uk voices
;(voice_kal_diphone)
;(voice_ked_diphone)
(utt.send.wave.client (utt.wave.resample (utt.wave.rescale (utt.synth
                    (eval (list 'Utterance 'Text string))) 5) 8000)))
;;; Command for Asterisk end