Matthew Simpson wrote:

The number of codecs is overwhelming to me.

What do ya'll consider the best codec for conserving bandwidth? [I realize
at the cost of quality]

Secondly, what do you think the best codec for voice quality is?

Yours,
Matthew

Its hard to tell you which codec is best becasue it depends on what phone you are using..

For quality, G.711 (ulaw or alaw) is king but at 64K (+-85K on the wire) its very FAT..

For lowest bandwidth..
If you are using a Grandstream then your only option is G.711 (alam or ulaw)..
If you are using a Snom then GSM is th one to use..
X-Lite and X-Pro have support for GSM, iLBC and Speex, GSM works fine, I can't get iLBC to work with Asterisk and I have never tried Speex..

If you are interconnecting Asterisk servers with IAX/2 then the choice is yours.. My personal choice is iLBC but GSM is a good option as well..

If you want to pay for licenses, G.729 will give you a lower bandwidth use than even iLBC and can be used by most phones..

Later..