Clif,

> For anyone running RH9 with a recent version of *, if you are using
> music on hold
> I would be interested in what version you installed or compiled.  The
> version described
> below is not working properly and leaves core files in the mohmp3
> directory for me. :(

We brought up a stock RH9 system from scratch, worked through all up2date
entries including updating the kernel (and its source code), and had
problems with MOH. Someone on the list told me about the mpg123 substitution
by RH, and after installing
 http://www.mpg123.de/mpg123/precompiled/mpg123-0.59q-1.i386.rpm
MOH worked just fine.

My musiconhold.conf file inclues only:
[classes]
default => mp3:/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3

and within that directory is a single (valid) mp3 file:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      4334654 Sep  8 10:40 For-You.mp3

[asterisk]# which mpg123
/usr/local/bin/mpg123

[asterisk]# ps ax
11409 pts/0    S      0:00 /bin/sh /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk
11415 pts/0    S      0:00 /usr/bin/mpg123 -q -s --mono -r 8000 -b 2048 For-You.
11416 pts/0    S      0:00 /usr/bin/mpg123 -q -s --mono -r 8000 -b 2048 For-You.

I'm using C7960's, a Snom 200, and an ATA186 with two analog phones and
all receive the MOH played from the above file.

A typical sip phone is defined in sip.conf like:
[3006]
type=friend
host=dynamic
username=3006
secret=mypassword
context=from-sip
mailbox=3006

and the associated entry in extensions.conf looks like:
exten => 3006,1,Dial(SIP/3006,20)
exten => 3006,2,Voicemail(u3006)
exten => 3006,102,Voicemail(b3006)
exten => 3006,103,Hangup

This system does have two x100p cards installed and working, therefore
I had no need to muck around with ztdummy, etc.

As mentioned, the only asterisk configuration parameter needed is the
one shown in musiconhold.conf above. The * CVS is from early September
(and I'm sort of afraid to upgrade for fear of what might be broken now).

Rich