I'm not sure I'm talking about the same thing, but if this is true, it may
clear a few things up.
Firstly, from what I've been told my Kevin Fleming on this list, and by calling
Digium directly, support for multiple Asterisk systems accessing the same MySQL
database for sip user/peer information, does not exist. Digium told me they
where aware of it, and it would probably take a single person the better part
of a year to fix.

Given that, I wanted to use realtime to load and cache the peer information,
and that's it. If Asterisk has to refer to the database each time a peer
registers, it just plain doesn't work!

This is true and false. We had two servers pulling from the same db for a long time, until we switched to two separate DB's on their own servers since it was a single point of failure (and when it failed, whoa...).
From talking with the developers, the only thing this causes problems with
is phones behind NATs. I don't remember us ever having problems using the same DB for sip registrations ever, even for NAT'ed phones. I think it's one of those "try and see" type things, cause we tried and it worked for us.

 --
Aaron Daniel Computer Systems Technician
Sam Houston State University