3Com is one of the few that lie about it. Many Cisco phones support SIP, but not all of them. I think Nortel also lies about SIP on some of their phones.

Daniel Hazelbaker wrote:
Drat, because the 3Com phones looked pretty good for the price. :) Is there somewhere that has a compatibility list for Asterisk with all the phones that are known to work/not work with Asterisk; since apparently VoIP phone companies incorrectly state that they support the SIP protocol (I don't consider, "we support SIP as long as it only talks to our server because we tweaked it just a bit" to be "supported").

I am looking for a good 60 phones. We are upgrading our entire phone system (and *old* NEC PBX). We don't need anything fancy on most of the phones, just the "usual" mid-size business features. Speakerphone, Hold, Park, Transfer, Voicemail; and we need at least 2 attendant stations that can see all in-use phone lines. We are trying to keep the costs (relatively) down, hence using Asterisk instead of a full commercial solution. It is very disconcerting to know the providers are essentially lying about what their phones support. (3Com states their phones are SIP compatible, not 3Com's version of SIP compatibile).

Thanks for the info, hopefully somebody will have some recommendations for a good phone brand that actually IS Asterisk compatible.