I have 4 asterisk servers which are "Friends" and each one has an account for termination.  A total of 5 peers each.

Currently, the setup is as follows
========iax.conf=========
[FriendName]
type=friend
context=server_friend
secret=donttell
host=friend.dyndns.com
qualify=750

In the past i would also use a register => and set host=dynamic, but the registration would often timeout, sometimes never work between two particular servers, and didnt help maintain my peers after ip change.  So for simplicity i follow the pattern above on all the servers, and i dont have to wonder why registration is timing out.

When one of their IPs changed yesterday, that box became unreachable to the other 4.  That's annoying but expected, and I guess I'll need to write a script to address that.

Problem is that the servers also lost all its peers when its ip changed (at least it seemed to correspond with the change), including my provider.

Reloading iax2 wouldn't fix it; restarting the server brought the provider and one friend back; stopping,  waiting, and starting brought one more friend back; and one friend is still unreachable to it.

Its important to note that the other 3 servers are doing fine with each other, and they can see the box who's ip changed after iax2 reload.

I can't help but wonder:  shouldn't the box who's ip changed still be able to find its friend?

also, is there a better way of going about this than what I'm currently doing?  i'm sure not everyone with a dynamic IP has this same problem.