So, if you are absolutely sure that you've specified the correct T1
    synchronization parameters in your /etc/zaptel.conf and you still have
    fax reliability issues, look elsewhere in your implementation for the
    root cause.

So, would you conclude that it's possible for a given T1/E1 to have incorrect T1/E1
synchronization parameters and still "work" 90% of the time ?

Yes, particularly for voice. For faxes, it may or may not be 90% and will be directly related to how far off the clocks are (eg, how far out of sync they are).

In other words, if 90% of faxes are correctly received, does it implies I have to look elsewhere in my implementation for the root cause of the remaining 10% ?

As stated before, it "you" are sure the clock sync is specified correctly in /etc/zaptel.conf, then yes look elsewhere.

As I think Steve Underwood stated, you can still have pci/interrupt bus problems impacting fax reliability, cpu load issues, and other things impact this.