On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Rich Adamson wrote:
end-to-end path. Each step through the tracert process does nothing more then issue an icmp echo request, measuring the response time and displaying it.
maybe on windows it does icmp echo but no unix does this (at least not by default). i recommend you study what unix traceroute actually does. :)
I'm very heavy (professionally) into protocol analysis, and yes unix does rely on icmp to perform the traceroute. (icmp pkt type 11, code 0) If you're a non-believer, put an access list on all icmp traffic and see if your traceroute continues to function. :)
I said unix doesn't rely on icmp echo (might want to actually read the message next time :)

I can block icmp echo and unix traceroute will function perfectly fine.
Dan,
Not that I want to get into this thread, but traceroute uses a mixture of UDP and ICMP. It uses UDP for the initial packets and then listens for ICMP responses from each gateway.

I know that. What i've been saying all along (and what everyone seems to be (deliberately?)) omitting is that unix traceroute does not use icmp echo.

-Dan