[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Leo Ann Boon wrote:

I'm not sure tmpfs is the right solution for the OP's problem - disk access slowing down the system. My understanding of tmpfs is that it will swap pages in and out to/from disk. Wouldn't that be as bad as directly writing to disk? I can see tmpfs will have some advantage over direct disk IO when the files are small and short-lived, i.e. less likely to be swapped.

One way around this is to not have swap at all. Then there is no disk i/o to worry about. Everything will be in ram.

This is what I do for embedded asterisk servers. tmpfs and no swap.

Ram is cheap.

Problem solved.

I guess it really depends on the load. The OP wants to record 512 concurrent calls. A quick calculation would show that the system will need (1024 * 8Kb)/second, that's about 8Mb per second. Assuming a mobo with 12GB of RAM, we're looking at around 25 minutes of calls.

Sounds like a fair deal.

-Dan