I think it is correct. Isn't that why they call it a Smart Jack? I've
only ever seen a regular cat5 cable used from the Smart Jack to the
device (router/PBX/CSU/DSU/whatever).

I believe the point of the smart jack is, amongst other things, to allow
for the use of readily available cables.

I agree however that "back-to back" (PBX-PBX etc) you would need a
cross-over cable.

Mark