Well, are you running an SMP box, or is it just hyperthreaded?

I know there are issues with running an SMP kernel on a machine that's only HT.

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Rich Adamson wrote:

Had a Pent 4 server running fc3 crash (kernel panic) and am rebuilding from scratch. I installed FreePBX (CentOs) from scratch and asterisk was running, but had not yet been configured. It too crashed with a kernel panic. Ran memtest for 24 hours; no errors or issues uncovered.

I then noticed that FreePBX installed using a SMP kernel (and grub indicated a non-SMP kernel was installed as well).

Would running an SMP kernel on a Pent 4 potentially cause a kernel panic? (Or, do I need to dig somewhere else?)

Nothing in the logs to suggest a root cause and I'm now waiting on recurrence using the non-SMP kernel.

R.

Aaron Daniel
Computer Systems Technician
Sam Houston State University