We ran some tests on our line here where a scope and voltmeter, we were able to see the waveform changes on incoming call and the voltage at 6-7v during the conversation, but no drop in voltage (or reverse tip/ring) when the remote side hanged-up. The voltage went back to around 48v after 8-10 seconds, which is when the FXO port goes on-hook.

We used a regular analog phone connected directly to that line and it did not detect the hang-up either. It looks like some Bell lines  do not provide disconnect supervision.

David Yat Sin
Sangoma Technologies
(905) 474 1990 x119
(800) 388 2475 x199