The problem is that "Answer"  for Zap channels, means that the FXO
card has accepted the call and is in process of making the call, but
that does not means that the other end (ie. the phone in the PSTN) has
already answered. Personally I have the same problem, but I have not
looked further on the code to solve it because I havent had the time.
I suggest you 3 options:

1. Wait 2 or 3 weeks, so I have some free time and came up with a fix.
2. Ask in bugs.digium.com for a feature to know this.
3. Keep looking and questioning about it in asterisk-users, may be
someone has a workaround.

Regards