Until now, I had never heard about VNC-tunnels. I will install TightVNC as soon as I am home. Thanks for the hint! The next thing to do then is posting the output of sip debug while dialling some number. I fear, however, that it will be terribly long, because of the frequent registration trials.

Best, Remko

Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] registration at Voipbuster times out

No. If you can ssh into the box you could tunnel VNC to a windows box and try from a softphone there. Thats how I do it.

Remko Muis wrote:
Steve,
I will try that, but now I am at my office. Can I dial some number from the command line ;-) ?
Thanks,
Remko

Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 4:39 PM

If the domain resolves you are probably OK, they just dont reply to pings.

Type "asterisk -r" then type "sip debug" and even "set verbose 15" and try to dial. Post the relevant console output. Also, disable iptables for testing, just to eliminate that as an issue.

Thanks,
Steve

Remko Muis wrote:
Hi Steve & Attilla,

Thanks for the quick replies!!
Attilla: your suggestion sounds promising, since I know my system clock is not too accurate. But that is the reason I use the network time protocol daemon. Time and date settings are now correct.

Steve: your question about pinging the sip-proxy servers hits the nail on its head: I can't, even though the names resolve to ip-addresses, and I can ping lots of other machines in the outside world. But why?

I tried your second suggestion, but to no avail. My dial statements were:

exten => _0[12345789]XXXXXXXX,1,Dial,SIP/voipbuster-out/0031${EXTEN:1}
exten => _0[12345789]XXXXXXXX,2,Congestion
exten => _XXXXXXX,1,Dial,SIP/voipbuster-out/0031[b]10[/b]${EXTEN}
exten => _XXXXXXX,2,Congestion

Replacing "voipbuster-out" with username:[EMAIL PROTECTED] does not help. However, I did not really expect so, since the registration timeout errors occur while Asterisk executes chan_sip.c. I would think that registration fails independently of any wrong settings in extensions.conf.

Anyway, the s in the Contact-line does look suspect to me, since I have a voip-in number for Voipbuster, and I read on the voip-info pages that "the s extension is is used when there is no known called number in the context used."

Being an Asterisk-newbie, I appreciate your replies, but further suggestions even more ...

Remko

Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 3:43 PM

Maybe a silly question but can you ping sip.voipbuster.com from your asterisk box?

Second question and probably the answer, what is your dial statement in extensions.conf? Contact:<sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED] EXTERN IP]>

One way to test is to create a dial statement like this exten = _.,1,Dial(SIP/username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/15555555555)

The s in the above is suspect. Turn on SIP debugging in the asterisk console, make a call and see whats up.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro

Remko Muis wrote:
Hi,

I am new here on this list, and have a problem of which I hope that somebody here can help me with it. I have a Voipbuster account, with which I would like to make phone calls via my Asterisk PBX. If I let X-Lite register directly at voipbuster.com, everything is OK, but if I let Asterisk register there, it says "registration for [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> timed out, trying again", even though all settings are precisely as in X-Lite (username, password, and sip-proxy settings). Also I am sure the right ports are forwarded or open, both in my router and in iptables (firewall of Asterisk server). The log files of X-Lite and the output of "sip debug" show no differences, except this one:
 Contact: Remko <sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED] IP OF X-LITE-PC]:5060>
 in the log of X-lite and the following line in sip debug:
 Contact:<sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED] EXTERN IP]>
 I don't know whether this is a significant difference.
For further info, here is my sip.conf:
 bindport=5060
bindaddr=0.0.0.0
externip=EXTERNIP
localnet=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
srvlookup=yes
maxexpirey=180 ; Maximum length of incoming registration we allow
defaultexpirey=160 ; Default length of incoming/outgoing registration
language=nl

;register to the voipbuster service
register => XXXXXX:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

;Add an extension for our softphone
;Copy this and change 1234 into 1235 for a second softphone (etc)
[1234]
type=friend
username=1234
secret=ZZZZZZ ; this is the .password. Change this !!
callerid=Remko
notransfer=yes
insecure=very
host=dynamic
;canreinvite=no
context=default

[1235]
type=friend
username=1235
secret=ZZZZZZ; this is the .password. Change this !!
callerid=Remko
notransfer=yes
insecure=very
host=dynamic
;canreinvite=no
context=default

;Configure the incoming calls connection
[voipbuster-in]
type=user
host=sip.voipbuster.com
secret=YYYYYY
realm=voipbuster.com
fromuser=XXXXXX
fromdomain=sip.voipbuster.com
context=incoming
canreinvite=no
insecure=very
qualify=no
nat=yes
dtmfmode=inband
disallow=all
allow=alaw
allow=ulaw
call-limit=5

;Configure the outgoing calls connection
[voipbuster-out]
type=peer
host=sip.voipbuster.com
username=XXXXXX
fromuser=XXXXXX
fromdomain=sip.voipbuster.com
secret=YYYYYY
realm=voipbuster.com
call-limit=5
dtmfmode=inband
context=default
insecure=very
qualify=no
nat=yes
canreinvite=no
disallow=all
allow=alaw
allow=ulaw
I am completely at a loss, hope somebody can help me here!

Yours sincerely,
Remko
ers