On 5/31/06, BJ Weschke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 I could be way off here, but I thought FXS ringing was signaled only
by a change in voltage on the pair, so I'm not sure how zaptel could
instruct the hardware device to send a different voltage? I think its
only capability with FXS is to fluctuate the voltage to support
distinctive rings.

Ring voltage in North America is supposed to be 90vAC at 20Hz.
Assuming these are Western Electric 2500 sets or similar, then a
less-wimpy ring voltage generator could very well make the phones ring
louder.  Fortunately, if these are Western Electric sets, then there
should be a dial marked "LOUD" or "HI" on the underside of the phone.
Turn that to the right to make the bells softer.

--
Strom Carlson
http://www.stromcarlson.com/