trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 14:18 -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
Andrew took issue with my initial sarcastic comment because this thread involves the G.729 codec - but remember that if someone does ultimately choose to obtain a license illegally that they're not cheating *Digium* - rather, they're cheating the patent holder (which is not Digium).

technically they are doing both becuase the patent holder only wants
like $0.25/license if bought in quantity.  The remainder goes to digium
(or whomever else is selling them).

As an example: Company X sells PCs with pirated copies of Windows that, following proper and normal channels, they should have purchased from Distributor Y. Microsoft sues Company X and wins a court judgment against Company X.

According to your interpretation Distributor Y was also *cheated* out of money. Yet, Distributor Y has no legal recourse to any monies from Microsoft or Company X. Why? Because Distributor Y has no exclusivity agreement with Microsoft guaranteeing it sole distribution rights to the product.

I'm not trying to make a case to justify illegal activities. However, I don't think that a vendor has any claim to losses such as we're discussing.

Lee.