On Monday 05 June 2006 12:29, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> you win, let it go

I'm not looking to "win" anything here.

I got into this thread because of Brian and Lee's dialogue on Friday.  What
set me off was Lee's "yes, be a good colonist and don't dump any more tea
into the harbour."

You came in and said that $10 gets only one transcode license, and asked what
should be done if you're Vonage-sized and need a million licenses.  You then
toned it down a little and asked what to do if you were a smaller company and
only needed 10k licenses.

My response to that was that for either one of those cases you would be insane
to be transcoding that many conversations on PC hardware.  If you have 10k
PSTN channels I posited that you should have sense enough to be using
carrier-grade hardware to terminate to TDM instead of trying to make it on
racks of PCs and using general processors to do the work where cheaper,
faster and denser solutions could do it.

You then stated that "If you are going to bring business into it, at least
accept that a business would most likely pay more than $10 for their
licensing needs."

Of *course* that is correct, the statement's so obvious that I responded by
saying if you're going to be using large numbers of g729 licenses it behooves
you to investigate other options, such as carrier-grade NAS hardware that not
reduce your port cost but include the g729 license.

Your entire argument seems to be "If I'm a business and I need g.729, it's
very likely going to cost me more than $10."

Is that fair description of your argument?  Or am I misreading?

-A.