Michiel van Baak wrote:

On 11:51, Wed 14 Jun 06, Mike wrote:
Hi,

I'm stuck writing a Web GUI because nothing out there is exactly what I
need.  I'm not writing something as extensive as what _is_ out there, but
just something that allows users to change where their calls are forwarded
and other small things like that.

What I wanted to know is what is recommended by those you successfully wrote
their own UI :

1) Modifying the config directly in the Asterisk RealTime DB and and use
Asterisk Realtime? This seems like the obvious choice, but I have a bad
feeling about this method...especially with respect to future changes I
would make to my UI or that the Asterisk dev team would make to their own
tables / code

2) Using custom tables I make up myself, and querying that DB with the MySQL
command directly in the .conf files (or Realtime asterisk for that
matter)(http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+MYSQL) ?

I went for option 3:
WebUI writes stuff to db, and some script generates static
extensions.conf for the server.
I did not create something functional yet, but the
design/planning docs are ready.

IMO, option 3 is the best bet. As you pointed out, writing to * RealTime DB puts you in harm's way w/ respect to future development, as well as operational dependency on the db. Option 2 also has the same external dependency. With option 3 your UI is abstracted from asterisk .conf files and if the db is unavailable for any reason * will not be affected. Looking further out, any changes to * dial plan syntax will only need to be implented in your db->.conf conversion script.