On Friday 16 June 2006 14:20, Michael Graves wrote:
> Yes, the functionality is as described. You can only have two simultaneous
> calls. I have no problem with interference with my WLAN. I have two APs

That sucks, but I kind of expected some kind of limitation to that
effect.  :-)

> I tried the Hitachi WIP-5000 before buying the 480i CT. It was a major
> dissappointment. Then for a while I used a Panasonic cordless phone and an
> ATA. The Aastra 480i CT beats both of those setups without question.

Good to know, I was going to get one in to test.  I tried the UTStarComm
F1000G but its ergonomics, flaky wifi and quiet speaker caused it to fail for
me.  I'm currently waiting on the new Siemens phone to come in to test.
Aastra says they have a standalone wifi phone "in the works" but no hard date
at this point.

What all these wifi phones are missing is bluetooth.  Such a shame, as it
could be used both for presence and for wireless headsets.

> You can provision the phone from TFTP/FTP/HTTP server, including uploading
> an XML based contact directory. It registers with multiple servers. The
> cordless handset provides sufficient volume, a proble I found with the
> WIP-5000, and supports a headset. You can even mark contacts as "public"
> and sync them from the base to the cordless.

yeah, I *really* like the Polycom configuration... I never do anything from
the screen with them, but their reboot cycle seems interminably long.  :-)

> Did I mention the backlit screen?! This is one of the major flaws in many
> phones. Working in a dim office (as I prefer) the backlit screen makes a
> huge difference.

Yes, another thing I wish the Polycoms had.

> I still keep a few Polycom 500/600s around...but the 480 is the phone that
> sits on my desk.

Again, good to know.  Thank you for your detailed post!  The XML config for
these phones gives them a leg up over the ip501 as well, that is for sure.

What do you have to say about the speakerphone on these?

-A.