On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Colin Anderson wrote:

He's probably using Exchange which has a global setting to either send OOO replies to SMTP addresses or not. It's a dumbass Exchange administrator who
enables this option (it is actually on by default)

Same thing happened to the mac-asterisk list last week, except the OOO
message would reply to every post, and to every user. In a period of 2 or 3
hours, I got a couple of thousand OOO replies from the offender. The
solution was to unsubscribe since the list owner was out of town apparently, and so the list members did just that - I think the only guy that was still subscribed once the dust settled was the list owner and the tool that set up
the OOO message in the first place.
Actually there where 440 messages, and I didn't unsubscribe...

So your story is whacked...  As is the mac asterisk list.