I'm replying to my own post because it is not clear.

1) STUN can find all the firewalls between Aterisk
and whatever else.  It can also find what your public
IP address it.

Correct.

2) THere is an easy to use opensource STUN library
available but I'm not yet sure how acivly developed it is
currently.  It's e-mail list seems very inactive.

My perception of the STUN code is that it's fairly simple to understand, and that it "just works," therefore there are few questions on a mature package that needs no additional features at this time. I could be wrong...

3) Suggestions please:  Where is Asterisk should STUN
code go?  I figure  not in any of the chan_*.c routines
as NAT environment is global to all channels.  You can't
just do it once at startup either as the environment may
be dynamic

I don't see why it wouldn't go into the respective channel configuration files, and into the applications that ran against those files. Perhaps reference some shared library, but I suspect that the configurations should be in each file independently, so each channel type can carry it's own data structures for internal/external IP address data (which you may want to be different on a channel-by-channel or even host-by-host basis.)

JT

--- Chris Albertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hasn't anyone simply _looked_ at the code? This sounds like the patch that was posted here to this mailing list last week. Did it make it into CVS already?

 Yes, "STUN" is the way to go.  It can find out what your external
 IP address is and what kind of firewall you have.

 I'm currently trying to learn more about STUN and how it could be
 added
 into Astrisk.  You certaily can't have Asterisk block and wait
 for a STUN server so I think STUN goes in a new thread.  Who
 to do that?  There seem to be enough examples already in Asterisk
 I'm reading these.  The other problem is trying to contact the
 maintainer of the STUN library.  So far my own post asking "Who
 maintains this?" is the only message  I've seen on their list.
 Perhaps the answer is "no one"?

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  [EMAIL PROTECTED]