This has been my experience as well. I also posted the issue to this mailing list, but has not responses. I have not come up with a workaround. If I have time I'll try to write up a bug report, but it will be a while. You are welcome to document the issue with as much detail as you can and post it to bugs.digium.com.

David wrote:
To add to the mystery, if the cell phone answers and presses "1" as requested,
the
logs don't register priority 1,1 being executed.  It is as if the macro has
prematurely aborted.

David

David said:
I just downloaded, compiled and installed Asterisk 1.2.9.1.  I did this
specifically
to get the Dial M(x^y) feature so that I could implement call completion
confirmation over IAX2 channels (not available in 1.0.7).  The problem is that
the
call is always completed--even without the required user input.  The problem
seems
to be related to the response timeout.  Macro priorities i,1 or t,1 are never
executed.  Here is what I have in extensions.conf:

--
Now accepting new clients in Birmingham, Atlanta, Huntsville, Chattanooga, and Montgomery.