Al Lougher wrote:
Hi -
I hope someone out there can help. I've just built a new asterisk server running [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2.7. and I'm having real difficulty setting up my cable modem for the internet connection. I have 1xcable modem and 1xnetgear router and 1xPCI nic card. I simply set the netgear up as 192.168.0.1 (which is default anyway) and plug the cable from the modem into the internet/input port on the router. Then I connect any port on the router to the PCI card on the asterisk box. Next I run netconfig and set the gateway to 192.168.0.1. Reboot everything, but I cannot ping any internet site. I can though ping the router. Any ideas? Thanks
Al.
Al,

Did you set an IP address on your asterisk box? You could also let it get its address via DHCP. Probably the router defaults to being a DHCP server. That has the advantage of getting the proper DNS servers from your ISP and the proper default route.

You did not specify who you cannot ping or whether it's by name or IP address.

Bob...