On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 15:28, Shoval Tomer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our current PBX (Panasonic) has a setting that enables users to
> "snatch" calls ringing at other extensions.
>

> I'm not sure snatching is a correct term for this so let me elaborate.
>
> Let's say you sit in a room with five other people. Each one has it's
> own extension. One person goes out. As soon as he leaves the room his
> phone starts ringing.
>
> The other guys in the room want to answer his phone for him and take a
> message, but they won't get up for it….
>
> I just pick up our extension, hit *40, and the call is automatically
> transferred to my extension.
>
> Is this doable with Asterisk?
>
> Is it possible to divide extensions into groups – like a group per
> room – so I won't snatch a call from another room in the building,
> that I wasn't even aware was ringing…

You want to look into call groups and pickup groups. To pickup the call
you use *8#.

from /usr/src/asterisk/configs/zapata.conf.sample

;
; Ring groups (a.k.a. call groups) and pickup groups.  If a phone is ringing
; and it is a member of a group which is one of your pickup groups, then
; you can answer it by picking up and dialing *8#.  For simple offices, just
; make these both the same
;
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1