Works fine for me with 1.2.10...

In fact, I've just started using environment variables set when Asterisk is started, setting global variables and using them in my AGI's (written in c).

Here's a snippet from my /etc/init.d/asterisk:

        source /etc/asterisk/environment.sh
        nice --adjustment=-20\
                env --ignore-environment\
                        DATABASE-DATABASE=$DATABASE_DATABASE\
                        DATABASE-PASSWORD=$DATABASE_PASSWORD\
                        DATABASE-SERVER=$DATABASE_SERVER\
                        DATABASE-USER=$DATABASE_USER\
                        PATH=/usr/local/bin/:/bin/\
                                $ASTERISK $START_OPTIONS

And from my extensions.conf:

        [globals]
                DATABASE-DATABASE               = ${ENV(DATABASE-DATABASE)}
                DATABASE-PASSWORD               = ${ENV(DATABASE-PASSWORD)}
                DATABASE-SERVER                 = ${ENV(DATABASE-SERVER)}
                DATABASE-USER                   = ${ENV(DATABASE-USER)}

And I have no problems reading the variables in my AGI's -- I'd know real quick since they couldn't access the database without them :)